Friday, February 23, 2007

My Uncle Al

I've just returned from a funeral in New York for my uncle, Albert Kwetz. He was the last of his generation on my mother's side of my family - and my last surviving aunt or uncle on either side. It gave me pause: time to reflect on the important things in life.

My uncle was a World War II veteran of North Africa and Sicily. He established and was Commander of his local VFW Post.

He helped establish and then provided continuous support for the Victoria Schuck Endowment Fund. This fund provides government internships and government studies scholarships for students who can't necessarily afford such. Donations can be made in his name to Mount Holyoke College, c/o Victoria Schuck Endowment Fund, 50 College St., So. Hadley, MA 01075-1423.

In this time of scandals concerning interns - and of a pervasive distrust of government - I would consider his views not old-fashioned but refreshing and necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here ...